AUTHOR: Tony Silva
PUBLISHER: New York University Press
Still Straight Sexual Flexibility among White Men in Rural America
by Tony Silva
Why do some straight men in rural America have sex with other men? In Still Straight, Tony Silva convincingly argues that these men–many of whom enjoy hunting, fishing, and shooting guns–are not gay, bisexual, or “just experimenting.” As he shows, these men can enjoy a range of relationships with other men, from hookups to sexual friendships to secretive loving partnerships, all while strongly identifying with straight culture.
Drawing on riveting interviews with straight white men who live in rural America, Silva explores the fascinating, and unexpected, disconnect between sexual behavior and identity. Some use sex with men to bond with other men in an acceptably masculine way; some are not particularly attracted to men, but are wary of emotional attachment with women; and others view sex with men–as opposed to women–as a more acceptable form of extramarital sexual behavior.
Taking us inside the lives of straight white men who have sex with other men, Still Straight shows us that heterosexuality in rural America is not always, in fact, what it seems.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Introduction and Acknowledgements
- Chapter 1: Am I Bi?
- Chapter 2: What If I Have a Preference?
- Chapter 3: Does Bisexuality Reinforce the Gender Binary?
- Chapter 4: When Should I Come Out?
- Chapter 5: What’s Dating Like for Bi People?
- Chapter 6: How Long Has Bisexuality Been Around?
- Chapter 7: What is Biphobia?
- Chapter 8: What is Bi Erasure?
- Chapter 9: What Issues Do Bi People Face?
- Chapter 10: What’s the Bi Community Like and How Do I Find It?
- Resources That Informed the Text