AUTHOR: Rita Mae Brown
Songs to a Handsome Woman
Rita Mae Brown
[description to come]
Author Rita Mae Brown has often been referred to as a lesbian because of her well-known earlier works Venus Envy and Rubyfruit Jungle as well as her involvement with the radical feminist movement (she co-founded The Furies Collective in the 1970s), but in interviews she frequently pushed back against being labeled a “lesbian writer” (and most other labels). In an interview with TIME, she said “I don’t believe in straight or gay. I really don’t. I think we’re all degrees of bisexual. There may be a few people on the extreme if it’s a bell curve who really truly are gay or really truly are straight. Because nobody had ever said these things and used their real name, I suddenly became the only lesbian in America. It was hysterical. It was a misnomer, but it’s okay. It was a fight worth fighting.”
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Introduction and Acknowledgements
- Chapter 1: Am I Bi?
- Chapter 2: What If I Have a Preference?
- Chapter 3: Does Bisexuality Reinforce the Gender Binary?
- Chapter 4: When Should I Come Out?
- Chapter 5: What’s Dating Like for Bi People?
- Chapter 6: How Long Has Bisexuality Been Around?
- Chapter 7: What is Biphobia?
- Chapter 8: What is Bi Erasure?
- Chapter 9: What Issues Do Bi People Face?
- Chapter 10: What’s the Bi Community Like and How Do I Find It?
- Resources That Informed the Text