AUTHOR: Ron Jackson Suresha
PUBLISHER: Alyson Books
Bears on Bears Interviews And Discussions
by Ron Jackson Suresha
Bears, for the uninitiated, are gay men who defiantly challenge society’s ideal of physical appearance, who celebrate the fact that they are often large, hairy, and don’t give a hoot about what fashions are parading down the runway. Ron Suresha’s thought-provoking, humorous long-form interviews with men, including editor David Bergman, cartoonist Tim Barela, and comedian and writer Bruce Vilanch examine questions of gay male stereotyping, commodification of the human body, the oppressiveness of the “physical ideal,” and how body image affects personal growth.
Ron Suresha’s work has appeared in “American Bear, The Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide, In Newsweekly, Gay Community News, White Crane Journal, Art & Understanding, The Bear Book, ” and “The Bear Book II.” He lives in Boston.
Editor Ron Jackson Suresha and other contributors to the anthology identify as bisexual.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Introduction and Acknowledgements
- Chapter 1: Am I Bi?
- Chapter 2: What If I Have a Preference?
- Chapter 3: Does Bisexuality Reinforce the Gender Binary?
- Chapter 4: When Should I Come Out?
- Chapter 5: What’s Dating Like for Bi People?
- Chapter 6: How Long Has Bisexuality Been Around?
- Chapter 7: What is Biphobia?
- Chapter 8: What is Bi Erasure?
- Chapter 9: What Issues Do Bi People Face?
- Chapter 10: What’s the Bi Community Like and How Do I Find It?
- Resources That Informed the Text